With all the latest media attention on preventing coronavirus and other global maladies, it’s easy to forget our old friend: The seasonal flu. But it’s still here, and stronger than ever. We’re still in the midst of flu season (it doesn’t end until May, according to the CDC), so let’s discuss some ways you can beat the flu!
According to the CDC, flu activity is peaking. We’re seeing a massive amount of infections, currently across 47 different states. Even more alarming, A-strains of the flu virus are quickly outpacing B-strains of the virus. Typically, it’s the other way around, which is giving the seasonal flu a very unusual second surge.
Are you ready?
How to Beat the Flu This Flu Season
If you want to keep you, your family and your friends healthy, use these practical immune-boosting strategies to strengthen your immune system and avoid becoming another flu statistic.
1. Drink some soup
There’s a reason your grandma used to cook you up a batch of chicken soup when you were ill.
Studies have found that the average chicken soup has numerous ingredients and antioxidants that can provide anti-inflammatory benefits and boost your immunity, according to research from the American College of Chest Physicians. The researchers used a common recipe that included ingredients like chicken, carrots, celery, salt and pepper. They found that many of these ingredients inhibited the activity of various viruses.
So if you want to beat the flu, sip some soup. Thanks, grandma!
2. Sip some honey
Some of the common symptoms of the flu include a sore throat, chronic dry coughing, etc. Honey is a powerful cough suppressant. Add a dab of honey to your coffee, tea or favorite warm beverages to help soothe those flu symptoms. Plus, honey works as an effective natural antimicrobial!
3. Take Nutrient Supplements
There are a few key nutrients that are essential if you want to beat the flu. They can be both powerful in your prevention strategy as well as in your battle to fight the flu, if you do come down with it, as they help to reduce the length and severity of symptoms.
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which can help to shorten the duration and symptoms of flu. Vitamin C is present in many fruits & vegetables, such as citrus fruits, broccoli, red bell peppers, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, papaya and sweet potatoes. It may also be taken as a dietary supplement or in intravenous form, which is particularly helpful for acute illness. As reported by Orthomolecular Medicine News Service (a nonprofit and noncommercial informational resource): “High dose vitamin C is a remarkably safe and effective treatment for viral infections. In high doses, vitamin C neutralizes free radicals, helps kill viruses, and strengthens your body’s immune system. Taking supplemental vitamin C routinely helps prevent viral infections.” Dr. Mercola
- Vitamin D has potent antimicrobial activity, able to fight viruses, bacteria and fungi. Dr. Mercola states that there is clear evidence pointing to low vitamin D levels leading to an increased risk of contracting colds and flu. The best source of Vitamin D is through careful sun exposure but it can also be taken as a supplement.
- Zinc deficiency is also noted as a risk factor in contracting colds and flu. It works within your immune system by increasing your white blood cells and releasing more antibodies. Zinc is actually the mineral involved in more enzymatic reactions than any other (present in 3,00 proteins and 200 enzymes). You can see just how essential adequate amounts of this mineral are! The down-side is that your body has no way of storing zinc, so it must be included daily in your diet or through supplementation, and essential to be taken at the very first signs of illness.
- Thymic Proteins are naturally produced in your body, which help with the effectiveness of your immune system’s T-cells in fighting off the flu, colds and other illnesses. This production is highest in your teens and for most people ceases around the age of around 40. By taking a thymic protein supplement such as BioPro-Plus 500, you may help to elevate the power, effectiveness and strength of your immune system against the flu.
- Beta-Glucans are naturally present in some mushrooms and yeast and have powerful immune-boosting properties. Beta-glucans increase “killer cell” activity and research has shown that the higher the number of these cells, the statistically lower your chances are of contracting the flu. Learn more about Beta-Glucans by clicking here.
4. Boost your gut health
Your gut is linked to your immune system. In a sense, you are what you eat! By enhancing the natural, beneficial bacteria in your gut, you can help your body fight off the seasonal flu and other viral infections. Boost your gut by:
- Eating more fermented vegetables, like sauerkraut and kimchi.
- Enjoy yogurt with your morning cereal or on its own.
- Take a daily probiotic.
- Avoid substances like alcohol or excessive caffeine.
5. Eat ginger
This root is effective as a healing anti-inflammatory remedy. Ginger offers numerous benefits for the flu, such as:
- Boosting your immune system
- Minimizing that dry, hacking cough that accompanies so many seasonal illnesses
- Fighting inflammation, which may help with flu aches and pains
- Easing the pain and discomfort of the flu’s typical sore throat
- Reducing nausea (the seasonal flu often makes people feel nauseous)
Enjoy ginger in your favorite hot beverages, or add it to foods like stir fry, chicken soup, etc.
6. Don’t overestimate the power of the flu vaccine
A meta-analysis, published in 2012 by the research journal The Lancet, found that the flu vaccine was effective 67 percent of the time. This means that while the flu vaccine can be effective, it’s not fool proof. To keep yourself healthy, flu-free and sane, it’s important to understand both the benefits and the shortcomings of vaccines.
Just because you get the vaccine doesn’t mean you’re fully vaccinated. Use the above natural remedies to strengthen your odds against the flu and other potential harms, all while enhancing the health of your immune system and overall wellness.
This also means supporting your body’s natural immune-fighting systems, such as your thymus gland. BioPro-Plus 500 is a unique dietary supplement which is clinically proven to increase CD4 cell counts. Learn more about how to enhance your thymic protein levels and prevent the seasonal flu once and for all!